TRADITIONAL BODY ACUPUNCTURE
- Acupuncture, or zhenjiu, as it is called in Chinese, is an ancient form of needle therapy which is gaining more and more popularity in the Western world for the treatment of acute and chronic pain. It is a natural, safe, effective & drug free modality.
- During a treatment, very thin, solid, hairlike needles are inserted at specific points on the body. In Chinese these points are called “neural nodes” (jie) and the stimulation of these nodes affects both the central and peripheral nervous systems. It triggers the release of the body’s internal chemicals such as endorphins and enkephalins, which have pain-relieving properties. If you have pain that is lingering or is not being treated by other modalities, then acupuncture offers a time-tested, very reliable method of pain relief.
AURICULAR (EAR) THERAPY
- Auricular acupuncture is most often used for addiction, smoking cessation, weight loss & pain relief. It involves the stimulation of the acupoints located on the ear with tiny needles, seeds & pellets. These are usually painless when affixed & the patient will leave these in for up to one week.
- There are over 200 acupoints on each ear that represent the anatomical parts and functions of the human body. These points are arranged on the ear in the image of an inverted fetus. By observing points of tenderness, coloration changes, protrusions or depressions, and skin variations, a trained practitioner can not only treat a wide range of diseases using only the ear, but can diagnose them as well. When we stimulate these points we access the central nervous system through the cranial nerves on the auricle of the ear. This sends a direct message to the brain that results in a rapid healing response.
- In addition to acupuncture , cupping therapy is done with Bamboo/ glass/ plastic cups in a variety of sizes.
- Cupping is like a very deep tissue massage. The practitioner applies the cup to the body, most commonly on the back & creates a vacuum effect which draws the skin up into the cup. The result is a movement of fresh blood to the area, release of toxins, acupuncture point stimulation, increased circulation of blood and lymph, relaxation of tight muscles, and reduced inflammation.
- Most commonly, cupping is used for aches and pains of various types including low back and leg pain, neck and shoulder tension, and fibromyalgia. It also helps open up the chest and benefits the lungs to treat respiratory problems such as cough, bronchitis, asthma, and the like. It can even benefit menstrual problems and digestive problems including stomach aches, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Moxibustion involves the burning of moxa, a herbal wool made from the leaves of the Mugwort plant, over specific acupoints. The moxa is often formed into a small cone and placed on the tip of a needle or rolled into a cigar-like shape and passed over the skin in wave-like motions. The radiant heat produced by moxibustion penetrates deeply into the body to restore balance, promote circulation, and reduce pain. This form of treatment, usually combined with acupuncture, is indicated for improving general health and treating chronic conditions such as arthritis, digestive disorders, pain, infertility, ulcers, and many other ailments.
TDP INFRARED HEATER
- TDP is a special device from China which produces a spectrum of electro magnetic waves. It is useful in soft tissue injuries, rheumatoid arthritis, hematoma, edema and in reducing pain and inflammation.
- Electrical stimulation reduces the time required per treatment and is very useful in treating acute conditions.
What treatments are available for patients who are apprehensive of needles?
- Acutron is a needleless type of acupuncture treatment which offers microcurrent therapies, ranging from milliamp currents to millimicro and IFT currents. It is very useful in all type of musculoskeletal pains.
- Lasers are most effective in treating various musculo-skeletal diseases, skin diseases, cosmetic problems like acne, wrinkles, scars, black circles under the eyes, and for face-lifts.
Sonopuncture is a type of needleless acupuncture treatment in which sound waves are used at acupoints. Different types of sound heads are used to treat a variety of ailments ranging from migraines to cervical spondylosis, low backaches, arthritis, frozen shoulder etc.
- This is a recent modality of needleless treatment in which different colours are used at acupuncture points to balance energy flow. Colour therapy can be used to relieve migraines, sinusitis, cerebral palsy, ADHD, optic atrophy and IBS.
- Guasha or scraping therapy is a new therapy where a special type of herbal oil is rubbed into the Acupuncture meridians with a jade stone. It is a needleless and painless treatment and is used as an adjuvant to needle therapy in relieving backaches, neck pain, arthritic pain, calf pain etc.